Video. Editing. Community.


Easy way to deal with MKV files

Share
avatar
Guest
Guest

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Guest on 21st January 2010, 10:00 pm

Thank you for the advice, but I couldn't convert my file into a mjpeg one, I don't know why, it didn't work when I tried. And this converter (Mediacoder) is the only free one I found that convert the files without ruining the quality... Would virtualdubmode help me? I thought maybe I should use this one to convert my files...
avatar
Azure Vermillion
Vidder For Fun
Vidder For Fun

Male Age : 25
Location : Australia
Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-01-16
Vidding Points : 2768
Reputation : 1

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Azure Vermillion on 21st January 2010, 11:50 pm

Yup Virtualdubmod is what I use for conversions
While converting can be slow, editing with the file after conversion is super fast

There are quite a few tutorials on using virtualdubmod, so I don't think I'd need to explain it.
All you do is open the file in virtualdubmod, look for the compression option, select the PICVID compressor, set the quality (Anything above 18 makes the file huge)

Hopefully you paid for the full version of PICVID, otherwise it will have their watermarks.
avatar
JulietProductions
Vidder For Fun
Vidder For Fun

Female Age : 24
Location : Malaysia
YT-Name : Hmmmm I wonder... LOL xD
Posts : 31
Join date : 2010-01-01
Vidding Points : 3014
Reputation : 0

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by JulietProductions on 24th January 2010, 12:54 pm

I tried and it worked^^ but there's no audio. Is it suppose to have no audio or did I do something wrong?


___________________________________



When one person is cursed, two graves are dug.

enma ai Pictures, Images and Photos
avatar
Azure Vermillion
Vidder For Fun
Vidder For Fun

Male Age : 25
Location : Australia
Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-01-16
Vidding Points : 2768
Reputation : 1

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Azure Vermillion on 24th January 2010, 1:31 pm

@JulietProductions wrote:I tried and it worked^^ but there's no audio. Is it suppose to have no audio or did I do something wrong?
No Audio is what was meant to happen, you split all three elements of the MKV file up (Video, sound and text)
If you truly need the audio, you can import it seperately if you demux it as well as the video in the first step. Everything should sync up fine if you correctly inputted your footage's framerate in the final step.
In something like Sony Vegas, it's as easy as group both the video and audio together.
Or heck, you can just encode the video and audio using virtualdubmod.
avatar
JulietProductions
Vidder For Fun
Vidder For Fun

Female Age : 24
Location : Malaysia
YT-Name : Hmmmm I wonder... LOL xD
Posts : 31
Join date : 2010-01-01
Vidding Points : 3014
Reputation : 0

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by JulietProductions on 24th January 2010, 2:00 pm

@Azure Vermillion wrote:
@JulietProductions wrote:I tried and it worked^^ but there's no audio. Is it suppose to have no audio or did I do something wrong?
No Audio is what was meant to happen, you split all three elements of the MKV file up (Video, sound and text)
If you truly need the audio, you can import it seperately if you demux it as well as the video in the first step. Everything should sync up fine if you correctly inputted your footage's framerate in the final step.
In something like Sony Vegas, it's as easy as group both the video and audio together.
Or heck, you can just encode the video and audio using virtualdubmod.

oh ok, in that case thank you so much!!


___________________________________



When one person is cursed, two graves are dug.

enma ai Pictures, Images and Photos
avatar
Guest
Guest

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Guest on 29th January 2010, 12:19 am

Hum, I didn't thank you for helping me, though I couldn't use Virtualdubmod, I ended up downloading another file (MPEG4) which works in Vegas now! I'll do that first next time! Anyway, thank you for having taken some time for me, even if I didn't succeed at the end.
avatar
shewolf51
Epic Director
Epic Director

Female Age : 28
Location : Manitoba, Canada
YT-Name : Emily
Posts : 107
Join date : 2010-09-26
Vidding Points : 2712
Reputation : 10

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by shewolf51 on 30th September 2010, 5:22 am

I've tried the whole MKVExtract route before and it just never worked for me because it only extracted part of the file I wanted. The only way I finally got HD ACC clips was to ...'obtain' AVS Video Converter 7 and spend 2 whole days converting the MKV file to HD WMV. HD with only about 8 GB of disk space, that's pretty good.

I mean, sure it was a bit of a hassle and made my computer slower than a snail on sedatives while it was converting. But I just found it to be much easier than the MKVExtract thingy.

Now if only there was an easier way to remove preview lag from HD files in SV Pro 8.0 instead of the Shift+B route since that only works for 30 seconds of the file.


Last edited by shewolf51 on 30th September 2010, 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To clarify that lag happens in the preview stage, not after rendering.)


___________________________________







"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

avatar
Azure Vermillion
Vidder For Fun
Vidder For Fun

Male Age : 25
Location : Australia
Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-01-16
Vidding Points : 2768
Reputation : 1

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Azure Vermillion on 30th September 2010, 10:34 am

Just to let you know, since posting, there have been major updates to both MKV extract and other programs.

For a completely simplified all-in-one program. MKVcleaver works wonders - it's actually what I use currently. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVcleaver
It can demux and place them into an avi container in one step.

As a side note, even if you demux and cram a h.264 video file into another container, there will be a ton of overhead, as H.264 is not a video format you should be editing with. It will be slow, so very slow.
Converting it to MJPEG should resolve all your speed issues, but the overall filesize might be larger than you can handle.

Just when converting make sure your format keeps all its fields and frames, if they are compressed, you'll run into all sorts of trouble later on.
So xvid/dvix is a no-no.
avatar
shewolf51
Epic Director
Epic Director

Female Age : 28
Location : Manitoba, Canada
YT-Name : Emily
Posts : 107
Join date : 2010-09-26
Vidding Points : 2712
Reputation : 10

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by shewolf51 on 30th September 2010, 11:16 am

@Azure Vermillion wrote:Just to let you know, since posting, there have been major updates to both MKV extract and other programs.

For a completely simplified all-in-one program. MKVcleaver works wonders - it's actually what I use currently. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVcleaver
It can demux and place them into an avi container in one step.

As a side note, even if you demux and cram a h.264 video file into another container, there will be a ton of overhead, as H.264 is not a video format you should be editing with. It will be slow, so very slow.
Converting it to MJPEG should resolve all your speed issues, but the overall filesize might be larger than you can handle.

Just when converting make sure your format keeps all its fields and frames, if they are compressed, you'll run into all sorts of trouble later on.
So xvid/dvix is a no-no.

I'm going to try what you said, though my converter only has MPEG instead of JMPEG, so I have to use that, here's hoping that works just as well. >_>

If it works then I will willingly volunteer to build you a monument or something.

EDIT:\\ While it did help with the preview speed, the quality was a tad diminished. While not by much, I tend to be anal about clip quality so it would've kept bothering me. XD

Ah well, a little extra work never killed anyone.


Last edited by shewolf51 on 30th September 2010, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To give an update on trying MPEG format.)


___________________________________







"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

avatar
Azure Vermillion
Vidder For Fun
Vidder For Fun

Male Age : 25
Location : Australia
Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-01-16
Vidding Points : 2768
Reputation : 1

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Azure Vermillion on 30th September 2010, 12:16 pm

Have you ever tried the 'bait and switch' method?
Edit with fast, yet low quality files, and switch them out with the high quality files for the final export?
It'll save you time when you edit, as everything will be all zippy and fast and you you still yet your picturesque video at the end of it all.

Again, make sure the formats are keeping all the fields and frames, if either of the files are using compressed frames, this method will not work at all.
avatar
shewolf51
Epic Director
Epic Director

Female Age : 28
Location : Manitoba, Canada
YT-Name : Emily
Posts : 107
Join date : 2010-09-26
Vidding Points : 2712
Reputation : 10

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by shewolf51 on 30th September 2010, 12:21 pm

@Azure Vermillion wrote:Have you ever tried the 'bait and switch' method?
Edit with fast, yet low quality files, and switch them out with the high quality files for the final export?
It'll save you time when you edit, as everything will be all zippy and fast and you you still yet your picturesque video at the end of it all.

Again, make sure the formats are keeping all the fields and frames, if either of the files are using compressed frames, this method will not work at all.

I'm actually doing that now. I still have the lower quality files from when I converted using AnyVideoConverter (that thing really kills quality). So yes, I'm following your bait and switch advice. :)

lol. That's actually what I meant by "a little extra work" but didn't want to clarify and seem like I was boasting or anything.


___________________________________







"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

avatar
Azure Vermillion
Vidder For Fun
Vidder For Fun

Male Age : 25
Location : Australia
Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-01-16
Vidding Points : 2768
Reputation : 1

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Azure Vermillion on 30th September 2010, 2:22 pm

@shewolf51 wrote: I'm actually doing that now. I still have the lower quality files from when I converted using AnyVideoConverter (that thing really kills quality). So yes, I'm following your bait and switch advice. :)
lol. That's actually what I meant by "a little extra work" but didn't want to clarify and seem like I was boasting or anything.

Yeah sadly, thats what I generally have to do as well. I have one external hardrive with the lossy video that's been compressed with something like MJPEG and the other hardrive with my final product assests. I name everything the same so the project file can be used for both sets of footage with minimum fuss.
Sorry that my guide couldn't help you out.
With the way things are, it might just serve as a way for people to get their MKV files accepted into an converting program program ^^


Anyway, everyone. I've updated the guide to incorporate mkvcleaver, as it should be a lot more stable (and simple) than the other programs. Hope it all works out for you guys.
avatar
Mina
I'm Vidding It !
I'm Vidding It !

Female Age : 29
Location : Germany
YT-Name : MinasPassion
Posts : 1019
Join date : 2009-12-11
Vidding Points : 4726
Reputation : 35

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Mina on 21st January 2011, 1:22 pm

Moved To "Tutorials"


___________________________________





Youtube ~ Tumblr ~ Facebook ~ DeviantArt ~ Clerith Videos

avatar
BlackLolitarose
Epic Director
Epic Director

Female Age : 23
Location : United States
YT-Name : xxBlackLolitarose
Posts : 145
Join date : 2010-10-24
Vidding Points : 2732
Reputation : 1

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by BlackLolitarose on 28th January 2011, 4:37 am

I realize no one wants to re-type all sorts of stuff out, so.. does anyone have a link or something to a guide to this.. in layman's terms? ^__^;;;
Uh.. yeah.. heh heh
If not, then don't worry about it.


___________________________________



My Youtube Channel Back-Up My old Youtbe JUNK CHANNEL

"I wish to meet myself on this Other Side...."

missyoober
Vidder For Life
Vidder For Life

Female Age : 24
Location : United Kingdom
Posts : 50
Join date : 2010-10-17
Vidding Points : 2765
Reputation : 3

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by missyoober on 17th March 2011, 8:47 pm

Cheers I'll have to try this :)

There was a video to changing mkv to mp4 but having to do the whole cmd thing and yeah .__. I think this way will be easier for me :) *gets a random mkv*

missyoober
Vidder For Life
Vidder For Life

Female Age : 24
Location : United Kingdom
Posts : 50
Join date : 2010-10-17
Vidding Points : 2765
Reputation : 3

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by missyoober on 17th March 2011, 9:30 pm

Alright I've done it and 1 problem
The video size is smaller....
avatar
LeanneCresent
Moderator
Moderator

Female Age : 24
Location : Germany
YT-Name : penelomotte
Posts : 857
Join date : 2012-07-31
Vidding Points : 2234
Reputation : 10

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by LeanneCresent on 3rd October 2012, 9:52 am

I do have some mkv files I cant use. But thanks now i know how to deal with them ^^


___________________________________








Sponsored content

Re: Easy way to deal with MKV files

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is 22nd June 2017, 8:31 pm